Hello! December was kind of the worst for me cooking-wise. I had this vision of a month of candy recipe posts, but they all failed miserably. Towards the end of the month I decided to cleanse my creative palate with a classic Fieri recipe: chicken avocado egg rolls.
Years ago Isa Chandra Moskowitz blogged on The PPK about making egg rolls for Joaquin Phoenix and didn’t include a dough recipe because she said it was a nightmare (sadly the post seems to me gone, but it was a good one). I decided to double up on spring roll wrappers instead of trying to mimic egg rolls, and they provide a satisfying crunchy, chewy texture.
Assembling the egg rolls is super easy. Many spring roll wrappers come frozen, so ensure that they’re defrosted when you’re ready to start cooking (I let mine sit in the fridge overnight).
Assembling the rolls is fairly easy. On a cutting board, I layered 2 spring roll wrappers and placed about 1/4 cup of filling at the end of the wrappers closest to me and placed 2 slices of avocado on top.
Start rolling the spring roll up the cutting board, about halfway up begin tucking the sides in.
Once you’re almost to the top, stop and brush the end with canola oil before folding over. I baked these seam-side down, but feel free to fry ’em! Full recipe below.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups diced Beyond Meat grilled chick'n (or your favorite chicken substitute)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 24 spring roll wrappers
- 2 avocados, sliced into 24 pieces
- 2 tbsp canola oil in a small bowl
- 1/4 cup jarred sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- In a large saute man over medium high heat, heat 2 tbsp oil and saute onion and red onion until tender. Add bamboo shoots, ginger and garlic and saute 2 more minutes. Add chicken substitute and saute 3-5 more minutes until heated through. Add soy sauce and stir 1-2 more minutes to combine.
- Turn off heat and remove pan from burner to cool. In a large bowl combine cabbage and carrot and once chick'n mixture is cool, add it to the bowl with the raw veggies and combine.
- Layer two spring roll wrappers and add 1/12th of the mixture (slightly short of 1/4 cup) to the end of the spring roll square closest to you. Place two slices of avocado on top and roll spring roll, tucking the sides in as you go. Using a pastry brush, brush canola oil on the edge of the spring roll wrapper to seal seam. Place spring rolls seam-side down on a cooking cheat lined with parchment paper. Once all spring rolls are assembled, brush the outside of the rolls with oil and bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with jarred sweet chili sauce mixed with sriracha.